Saturday, August 16

The Importance of the Post Office in World War I


I recently had the privilege of being involved with a project that has built a memorial of words to commemorate World War I. As part of the Letter to an Unknown Soldier project, thousands of people have written letters which will be preserved as a permanent memorial by the British Library in the National Archive.

As with so much of writing about history, the research took me down some side alleys. Now, so much of the history of World War I is familiar and iconic, even 100 years after the outbreak of war. And so it should be. Images of the trenches, the unimaginable loss of life, of the catastrophic destruction should never fade.

But it was the contribution to the war effort of something that we still use everyday that I found completely fascinating. It is not an institution that immediately springs to mind: it is the Post Office.

To read what I found, please follow the link below:

English Historical Fiction Authors: The Importance of the Post Office in World War I:

© 2014 E.M. Powell 
E.M. Powell is the author of The Fifth Knight, a medieval thriller based on the murder of Thomas Becket in Canterbury Cathedral in 1170. You can find it here on Amazon.com or here on Amazon.co.uk. The sequel, TheBlood of The Fifth Knight, will be released by Thomas & Mercer on 01.01.2015. Visit her website at www.empowell.com or her Facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment

- See more at: http://www.bloggerhow.com/2012/07/implement-twitter-cards-blogger-blogspot.html/#sthash.Xcm5fXCr.dpuf